The day in the Christian calendar that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Easter is the most important day in the calendar. It is celebrated on the first Sunday after the full moon on or after March 21; therefore, the date varies from March 22 to April 25.
Source: Glossary of Terms on InfoServ, a ministry of United Methodist Communications, the official information service of The United Methodist Church.
Learn more about the Easter Season
List from United Methodist Church resources for the Easter Season:
Find devotions and meditations to help you during this season of preparation.Devotions and meditations
- Upper Room Online Daily Devotional
- Lenten and Easter meditations from UMW
- Reflections and features from Global Ministries
- Upper Room Daily Reflections
- How Beautiful (2013 Lenten devotional guide from Society of St. Andrew)
- Bread on the Way to the Cross (UMC.org meditation series)
- Lenten Photo-a-Day Challenge
- Lenten reflection from Bishop Rosemarie Wenner
- 40 Ideas for Keeping Lent Holy
- 7 awesome ideas for Holy Week and Easter
- When keeping Sabbath, simply rest
- Got ashes? Chicago church takes Lent to the streets
- Pastors debate value of Lenten sacrifices
- Lent: A Time to Fast and Pray
- Read and reflect throughout Lent (Suggestions for Lenten reading)
- Lent 101
- Simplicity: A Lenten Path
- Lent: Don't Just Do Something, Sit There!
- Time for Change: Reflections on Lent and Easter
- Where Does the Term "Good Friday" Come From?
Discover ways for your family to celebrate Lent and Easter.
- 2013 Family Study for Lent
- Making Ash Wednesday Accessible for Children
- Stewardship Nuggets for Families and Children: Family Lenten Offering
- Coins for Lent
- Observing Holy Week in the Home
- Easter Devotional for Families
- Sharing Easter with Your Children
Find liturgies, prayers, and lectionary and preaching helps for the season.
- Ash Wednesday Resources from GBOD
- Lenten Resources from GBOD
- Planning for Worship during Lent, Year C
- Preaching Through the Season of Lent
- Creating Lenten Spirituality Centers (video from Central UMC, Florence, S.C.)
- Rethinking stations of the cross
- New ways of praying at Lent
- Lenten worship displays provide focus
- Connecting Worship and Daily Living in Lent
- Living Lent: Focus on Conversion and Baptism as You Plan Your Lenten Services
- Worship displays provide focal point during Lent
- What should we do about singing "Alleluia" during Lent?
- Water and Ashes Do Not Mix!
- Contemporary Service for Ash Wednesday
Holy Week and Easter
- Maundy Thursday in an Alternative/Emergent Mode
- Maundy Thursday worship planning helps
- How Shall We Observe Good Friday?
- Jesus Walked This Lonesome Valley: A Tenebrae Service
- The Great Vigil of Easter
- A New Great Thanksgiving for Eastertide
Involve your small group in a seasonal study.
- Upper Room Lenten Study Guide 2013
- New studies for Lent 2013
- Keeping the Faith: Contemporary Spiritual Practices for Contemporary Christians (Study for Young Adults Northern Illinois Conference)
- The Miracles of Jesus (online Lenten retreat)
- Journey to Hope (Intergenerational study and sermon series from Rethink Church)
- Forgiveness (Reflections and activities from Interpreter Magazine and UMC.org)
- Desktop Meditation: A Lenten Journey
- Chuck Knows Church: Shrove Tuesday
- Chuck Knows Church: Ash Wednesday
- Chuck Knows Church: Lent
- Rethinking Stations of the Cross
- Good Friday Cross Journey
- Easter Church Drama
- Easter Cross Walk