A New Vision, A New Voice ~ The North Texas Conference
Metro District Leadership Training: January 28, 2018
Metro District Lay Leadership Training
A New Creation
Sunday, Jan. 28, 2018
2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
The Metro District will hold its annual lay leadership training on Sunday, Jan. 28, 2018, from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. at University Park United Methodist Church. This training is encouraged for all church committee members.
Metro District Lay Leader: Eric Markinson
Community Care, Grace United Methodist Church
After a 25-year career in high schools, Eric earned a Master of Divinity degree from Perkins School of Theology. He has been a member of Grace UMC since 2011 and presently oversees Community Care as a staff member. Eric served as a Chaplain Resident at Parkland Hospital. He is a Certified Lay Servant and serves as the Lay Leader of the Metro District of the North Texas Conference. He’s also a proud spiritual mutt, embracing a variety of religious practices.
Key Note: Rev. Marti Soper
Director of the Center for Leadership Development
Marti Soper attended Boston College majoring in Finance. After receiving her MBA in Marketing from UCLA, she worked at IBM before hearing a call to ministry while working with the youth group at her church. She received a Master of Divinity at Perkins School of Theology in 1998. Since that time Marti served as Youth Minster, Associate Pastor and Pastor of area congregations before being appointed to the Bishop’s Cabinet as the Director of the Center for Leadership Development in 2013. She has responsibility for Conference programs that help form Children, Youth and Young Adults into disciples for Christ. She also has responsibility for Camping and Campus Ministries and ministries that recruit, equip and sustain transformational leaders for our churches. Marti is married to Rev. Jack Soper, and they have four children and five grandchildren who live in the Boston area. Marti enjoys finding the presence of God in unexpected places and people, and in her hobby of creating stained glass artwork.
- SPRC: Led by Rev. Cammy Gaston (Metro District Superintendent) and Rev. Marti Soper (Director, Center for Leadership Development)
- Trustees: Led by George O’Reilly, Director of Administration and Development, University Park UMC
- Finance: Led by Russell May, Member of Lake Highlands UMC and Member of Metro District Trustees/Finance Committee
- Lay Leadership: Led by Eric Markinson, Metro District Lay Leader
- Church Council: Led by Dwight Harry, Member of Hamilton Park UMC and Certified Lay Minister
Info Sessions for Ministry Growth
- NTC Strengthening the Black Church Initiative
Led by Rev. S. Dianna Masters, Associate Director, Center for New Church Development and Congregational Transformation; SBC21
- NTC Hurricane Relief Team Outreach
Led by Rev. Andy Lewis, Director of Missional Outreach and Assistant to the Bishop
- Discerning our Churches Purpose
Led by Rev. John Thornburg and Rev. Carol Montgomery – Experience the difference between planning and discernment while creating a purpose and vision for the church
- Lay Servant Integration & Empowerment Workshop
Led by Susan Grant, District Director
- Assessing and Shaping the Ethos of your Church
Led by Matt Temple, Associate Director for Church Planting, Center for New Church Development and Congregational Transformation