The next Step in the process toward licensed or ordained ministry is to become a Certified Candidate for ministry. The District Superintendent for your District will help you begin this process following the Steps below. If you are not sure which district you belong to, the pastor of your local church will be able to clarify this for you.
- Bring 5 things to the meeting with your District Superintendent:
- A written Statement of Call to ministry
- A letter of recommendation from the SPRC (Staff Parish Relations Committee) of your local church
- A letter requesting admission to the candidacy program
- And, also request permission to attend the next Candidacy Summit
- A check for $45 made payable to your District
The $45 covers the cost of an extensive background check in the following areas: consumer credit, department of motor vehicles, sex offenders, and county and national crime.
- Receive the name of your mentor group or individual mentor from the District Superintendent or Candidacy Registrar.
- Request permission to be entered into the Pathways To Ministry software. Training will be done through the Board of Ministry Office.Contact Duane VanGiesen or Janet Thompson. Or call: 972-526-5046.The registration form for the Candidacy Summit is in Pathways.
- Initiate contact with your mentor group or individual mentor. Together, you should work through the “Fulfilling God’s Call” resource. You should meet at least quarterly. (A minimum of four meetings a year is required every year.)
- Have your candidacy voted on by your church’s Charge Conference. You must be approved by a 2/3rds ballot vote.
- Schedule an Introductory Interview with your District Committee on Ministry. Following approval by the Charge Conference, you should contact your District Candidacy Registrar to schedule an Introductory Interview with the DCOM.
Download the summarized guide to the Ministerial Candidacy Process in the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church:
Further information on the Certification Process as a Candidate for Ministry can be found in the Candidate for Ministry section of our site.